Explainer: Ideas in Action
At GSA, we do a lot of really important things. We hold social events and programs to help you study better and prepare for careers. We maintain a 24/7 building for you to come and work or relax. We support almost 100 Grad Groups with members in every faculty and graduate school, and much more.
But at the heart, GSA’s role is to represent University of Melbourne graduate students: to be your collective voice within the University and in the broader community. We exist to represent you.
We already do that in a lot of ways. Our elected council of 15 graduate students governs GSA and is the main point of contact between graduate students and the University’s leadership.
We have a group of 26 graduate students who work with GSA to represent your interests on 27 University boards and committees, and we’re leading a Victoria-wide coalition of student associations to get student transport concessions for full-time postgrads.
But we want to do more. We want to hear directly from you about the ideas you have to change GSA, the University, or the world around you, and we want to work with you to make those ideas a reality.
That’s why we’re launching Ideas in Action, our platform for bringing direct democracy to GSA and giving every one of the 34,000 graduate students we represent a chance to get involved.
Here’s how it works:
- Any graduate student at the University of Melbourne can submit an idea on our website. Whether it’s a statement of principle that you want us to uphold, or a particular action or project you want us to undertake, tell us what it is and why you think it’s important.
- We publish your idea on GSA’s website for other graduate students to view and comment on. This is a great opportunity to find out what your fellow graduate students care about and engage in discussion.
- Once a semester, we hold a forum where students who have submitted ideas are asked to present them to a panel of 16 randomly-selected graduate students.
- The panel assesses each idea, and all ideas that 75% or more of the panel supports are adopted by GSA to work on.
- The graduate student who submitted the idea will be invited to work with GSA to make their idea happen.
We’re really excited to get Ideas in Action off the ground, and start working with all of you to make positive changes for graduate students. So look around you, think about what action you want to take, and let’s make it happen together.